Friday 11 October 2019

Questioning

Ideas circle, disappear and return. Successful thoughts come together, disperse and often re-assemble in a different form. I find it very difficult to identify where a successful idea actually comes from and when the realisation that something is going in the right direction.  Although thoughts that wonder can also be useful in looking around a theme, I try to discipline myself to write down words that help me to focus and not to drift away too far on a tangent. This continually brings me back to the raw elements I wish to focus on and question whether my story or 'angle' is still evident.

Noticing that my fragmented and distorted plastic bottle shapes have evolved from a functional item that was originally designed to hold water into a mutilated bottle form that could be said to resemble sea creatures from the deep - perhaps quite fanciful but the idea caught my imagination.

A dip into Charles Darwin's books - 'The Origin of Species' carried this thought of evolution into the world of how plastic packaging and bottles where this material lasts forever, perhaps modified in some way as it insinuates itself into the environment in unwelcome forms; perhaps an optimistic idea of how the natural world could make slight effective changes.

Ironically I felt that the distorted forms created by fragmenting and re-forming the plastic bottle shapes could take on a slightly organic form. The linking threads add a sort of tentacle element to its character.

Using only portions of a bottle with lines to complete the shape suggested a sense of disintegration giving a surreal link to wishful thoughts of disintegration and gradual disappearance.




No comments:

Post a Comment