Wednesday 28 March 2012

Five minute pyjama drawings

I have challenged the students of my Masterclass - Ronnie, Valerie, Tricia, Sylvia, Jan, Carol, Jenny, Lynda, Liz, Angela, Gwen and one more Carol - to do a five minute drawing each morning while having a cup of tea and perhaps before getting dressed and washed! So, I'm doing it myself too - but no photos of me in my pyjamas!


I've decided to draw circular things as I'm working towards a piece for the 62 Group which I want to base on the discus thrower of ancient Greece Olympic fame.  This marble statue in the British Museum is supposed to represent the Olympic ideal. I'm going to see it tomorrow and hope to be able to do some drawing at the museum.
As well as the discus figure, I want to build up ideas of circles which might not seem particularly interesting until you start looking and drawing them. I've collected a heap of buttons, washers, metal and plastic rings and have made a start.
My new sketchbook has brown paper pages which makes a welcome change for plain white. I've made some rubbings and already see something coming through that I might be able to use. The layering of the rubbings has created a sense of movement and distance.
So I hope this encourages you all - Ronnie, Valerie, Tricia, Sylvia, Jan, Carol, Jenny, Lynda, Liz, Angela, Gwen and one more Carol!

Keep a look out for my discus thrower soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment