Monday 6 August 2012

Concealing and Revealing

An intriguing glimpse of things newly revealed by the conservation team at Tyntesfield House, a National Trust property in North Somerset. It was a very inspiring day, spent with my group of masterclass students, seeing the fascinating way in which the life of this grand house is gradually being revealed. The group and I are working towards building a collection of textiles around the theme of ‘Conceal and Reveal’. This visit also gave us an excuse to meet up and enjoy each others company as well as doing some serious note, sketch and photo taking. A few images of items that intrigued me -

P1050864P1050848P1050862 P1050847 P1050852  P1050869 P1050860 P1050829

The first image is the discolouring of a wall surface due to water seepage as well as fading around a removed picture. The last image - can you guess what has been recycled to create this decorative garden feature -  masterclass students not eligible to answer!

8 comments:

  1. Looks like a bike rack?

    It sounds a great project. Look forward to hearing more about it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live less than 4 miles from Tyntesfield and I went there for the first time a couple of weeks ago. It really is a fascinating place. Please tell me what the garden feature is made of - I took loads of photos of these "wheels" but I couldn't work out what they were made of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like stairs from a circular staircase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheila, you have guessed correctly. They are sections from a spiral stone staircase that was dismantled in one of the house changes during the last few centuries. We couldn't work out how they were held together as just stacking them would not have been very stabile. There were several circles like this in the rose garden - a lovely idea to use an interesting shape in repeat. Must try it in my own garden sometime although I don't have a spiral staircase!

      Delete
  4. Well done sheila, i wouldn't have guessed this!
    This looks fascinating,I love anything like this and will have to visit the house when I'm next in Somerset
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some lovely pics, what a great opportunity to see what's behind the perfectly restored facade.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the recycled garden feature I thought they were concrete bench sides! Well guessed Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a beautiful inspiring place! I absolutely want to visit it during my next visit to England

    ReplyDelete