Friday 19 November 2010

Life Line

At last, a new piece of work from my own hands rather than passively enjoying all the wonderful things my students produce! This piece is a development of my 'assemblage' theme of threading small shapes together. The inspiration for 'Life Line' is drawn from watching and reading about the rescue of the 33 Chilean miners from their entrapment deep in the earth. The central hole in all the shapes denotes the long tunnel that was drilled to bring them to the surface. Please scroll down for detailed close-ups. It is 200 cms long, although the curled area at the bottom makes it an installation of about 130 cms high. Each square is 6 cms and are made of perforated vellum and collected newspapers recording the event.
See this and other textile pieces by members of the 62 Group at Gallery Oldham, Oldham, www.galleryoldham.org.uk from 22nd January to 10th April 2011.




9 comments:

  1. I really have a great admiration for this artwork piece. Evelyne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your wonderful Life Line! I especially love the way you use the red on the tunnel inside and on the edges and how you keep adding subtle changes along the whole length of the Line. I shall try to keep all this in mind as I work on my assessment piece.
    Daniela

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's quite beautiful! Even the shadow looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great theme for your assemblage. I watched the rescue live on TV and got really caught up in the emotion. You've reflected the fragility of the whole operation beautifully as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is wonderful. I love the photo with the shadows

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a really interesting way of recording the event and the shadows are a dramatic addition.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great piece Sian, it's a sensitive response to what could have been a major disaster, and I think the shadows really give the viewer that feeling of fragility, between life and death. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful work Sian - I love the effect of the shadows too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sian, I was delighted to be able to see this in Gallery Oldham at the weekend. Thank you for providing a sample to be touched and explored!

    ReplyDelete