Wednesday 17 June 2020

Rooting around

I was initially drawn to flower heads in my current foraging in the garden - buttercups, dandelions, roses. Now I thought I'd look at the compost heap. I'd previously buried scraps of fabrics there and used them a few months later, washed of course, in some textile experiments.
Placing a string of different fabric scraps into the compost heap

A few months later.

Washed and layered

My latest forage into the compost heap gave me some lovely roots - at the end of buttercup stems I think. These were washed to remove the soil.

Noticing how beautiful they were, I thought to feature the roots as you would a bouquet of flowers and stuck the stems into the end of a spool of thread - leaving one on the table as in a traditional floral still life.  

I was intrigued to arrange the roots to form a flower head above and also realised I had a spider - [re Louise Bourgeois?] below.


Now to paint my roots! (reading too many Facebook pages of people's hairdressing plights during lock-down! )
 Hedgerow drawing with inks

 Painted roots with touches of pale lemon to echo the hedgerow drawing behind.



No comments:

Post a Comment