Friday 13 August 2021

Returning to work done during the 2020 'lockdown' period.

 This posting continues the story of the investigation I did when only walking around my garden and along a few close country lanes during the Covid lockdown. A previous posting shows how I used the inks created from buttercup and dandelion flowers to make marks on paper, describing the circular repetition of my daily walks enjoying the numerous plants and flowers starting to blossom. The bright yellow of the buttercups and dandelion flowers were especially vibrant and joyful. See October 2020 posting.

By boiling and sieving the fibres from these plants, I made a warm, soft, yellowish stain or ink. The residue pulp also looked useable so I tried pressing it against garden stone shapes to see if they would dry and hold a shape. This pulp made rather a fragile 'paper' when dried as it had no 'body' so I added pieces of scrim to strengthen and make a firmed moulded shape.

The pulp is used here to partially cover the garden stones, displayed on a drawing.


I also tried making paper shapes - and added spots of bright yellow ink when dried. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sian, just discovered you through Textile Artists. Like you, I live on the Somerset Levels ( Chilton Polden in my case), and get inspiration from our beautiful watery, willowy world. I love the way you experiment with different media. Thank you for sharing your work.

    ReplyDelete